Data Visualization 2010 SP2 for .NET is available

This post has 4 replies

Top 10 Contributor
milos Posted: Wed Dec 1, 2010 @ 8:02 AM

Hello, everyone.

I'm happy to announce the immediate availability of the second service pack update to Data Visualization 2010. The update includes numerous fixes, enhancements and improvements to the product. The distribution can be downloaded from the usual place.

In related news, our live documentation site now includes the full Data Visualization documentation.

Kind regards,

Milos Glisic

Director of Development

ComponentArt Inc.

Top 200 Contributor
trinet Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 @ 12:00 PM
Is there some reason why I can't upgrade an RTM installation to SP2? Every time I try to run the installer, it tells me that:

"Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."

I don't like having to uninstall a product just to install a service pack!
Top 10 Contributor
milos Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 @ 12:15 PM

trinet, each of our releases is a full self-contained package. We call some of them service packs, when they don't constitute a major change from the previous release, but those still require a complete new set of assemblies, and demos and docs built for those. A fresh install of the product is necessary.

Top 200 Contributor
trinet Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 @ 12:26 PM
And yet service packs for the UI Framework manage to upgrade the assemblies without requiring me to uninstall everything first. Other vendors manage to release service packs which require "a complete new set of assemblies, and demos and docs" without demanding a fresh install. Even the much-maligned Microsoft manage to have Windows service packs install without demanding the sacrifice of a virgin hard-drive!

No, I think someone just messed up and put the wrong upgrade code in your setup files.
Top 25 Contributor
evan Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

You are correct. There are ways to have the installer perform an in-place minor revision upgrade.  We will likely implement this for the next major version of DV.

DV 2010 is both our first edition of a major new product and our first endeavor with a new (for us) installation platform (Caphyon Advanced Installer, we have been using InstallShield to this point, and continue with IS for the UI Framework suite). We decided for these reasons to be overly cautious when designing this initial installation scenario and require the complete removal any existing installation.  As mentioned, we will likely lift this restriction for the next major version.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)