UI Framework v.Next

This post has 21 replies

Top 10 Contributor
milos Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 @ 9:00 AM

Hello everyone,

After the recent release of our new Data Visualization for .NET suite, we are now working on a long-overdue update of UI Framework for .NET. We expect to release this update before the end of November. We are currently working on the following list of features and fixes:

Web.UI for ASP.NET AJAX/MVC

- Provide a .NET 4.0 targeted assembly build

- Fix problem (script error) with SharePoint 2010 deployment

- Investigate DataGrid binding to EntityDataSource

- Investigate downlevel Upload functionality for WebKit browsers

- Investigate TreeView persistence problem in UpdatePanel (D6483)

- Investigate DataGrid nested groups missing record problem (D6143)

- Investigate SpellCheck problem with apostrophized words (D7080)

- Investigate potential Dialog issue with .NET 4

- Investigate Chart zero value bug (D6885)

- Fix SpellCheck issue with newly added words (D6970)

- Fix ComboBox jumping bug (D5636)

- Fix ComboBox down arrow bug (D6467)

- Add beforeCallback client event to ComboBox

Web.UI for Silverlight/WPF

- Investigate DataGrid browser zoom issue (D6996)

- Investigate DataGrid column visibility issue (D6997)

- Investigate DataGrid vertical scrolling issue (D6982)

- Fix ComboBox dropdown expansion issue (D6713)

The final change log will likely contain a number of additional items and may not include all the fixes being investigated. Over the next couple of weeks, do feel free to make additional feature/fix suggestions in this thread.

Kind regards,

Milos Glisic

Director of Development

ComponentArt Inc.

Not Ranked
satmm Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 @ 9:50 AM

great , looking for this

also guys change the demo style design , the current one is too old i think from 2009

Top 25 Contributor
CLAMONT Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 @ 12:03 PM
I'm very interested in the following for DataGrid: 1) Binding DG to oData/ADO.NET Data Services 2) Supporting Linq within the DG itself, so that sorts and filters are sent to my oData service (See Telerik ) 3) Ability to control column width after grid resize
Top 10 Contributor
sberkovitz Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 @ 5:15 PM
Those all sounds like good (and overdue) fixes, but without access to an open bug/feature list, it's hard to provide any feedback on what else might be missing that is important to the community.

Definitely important for me (from that list) is WebKit upload support and the treeview persistence issue.

I also hope there is continued progress towards a standards-based Grid that behaves more consistently with FillContainer, scrolling, etc.
Not Ranked
FBeilke Posted: Tue Nov 2, 2010 @ 5:36 AM
D6130 "Extended characters in filter/search are incorrectly converted when Grid returns from server"
Top 25 Contributor
CLAMONT Posted: Wed Nov 3, 2010 @ 2:03 PM
I second everything sberkovitz recommends.
Not Ranked
odashevsky Posted: Fri Nov 5, 2010 @ 8:25 AM
DataGrid needs the following features:
- Filter row
- Automatically calculated summary rows for groups and grid
- Proper grouping support, with expanded/collapsed state persistence and server-side access to groups
- Two-way scrolling
- Column sets

Chart bug:
- Rendered font size quite strangely depends on margins size

Some of these issues have been known for years.
Not Ranked
FBeilke Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 @ 2:10 AM
The webkit upload support is very important for me.
Top 10 Contributor
stephen Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 @ 9:00 AM

It's looking very likely that there's going to be some good news on the webkit / upload front- you should see something very shortly!

Top 10 Contributor
milos Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

Hi again everyone!

We've just released UI Framework 2011. It's available for download from the standard download page. You can see the final change log here.

Thanks for all the feedback on this! Please keep it coming.

Milos Glisic

Director of Development

ComponentArt Inc.

Top 50 Contributor
gknierim Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 @ 2:29 PM
Does this include the much anticipated .NET 4.0 assemblies??  I don't any mention of it on the change log.
Top 10 Contributor
milos Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 @ 3:29 PM

Indeed it does. You will find the new target build under Program Files/ComponentArt/UI Framework 2011/assembly

We will update the change log KB article to reflect this.

Top 150 Contributor
tstacy Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 @ 10:59 PM

Deeply disappointed to put it mildly. One release in 2010, Now we've got a 2011 release that doesn't contain a single new control across the spectrum. The change log is either incomplete, or this is nothing more than a minor point release.

As a subscriber for more than 5 years, my subscription will most likely be coming to an end. (Why isn't your spell checker hooked up to this editor?). 4 years ago, nobody was close on the client side, but you never opened the client side to your developers, and innovation came to a screeching holt.

You guys started as a bleeding edge "Web" component provider. Apparently, priorities have changed.

Data Visualization looks cool, but I am not a WPF developer and Silverlight (much like Flash) has a hazy future.

In the past five years, the open source (and commercial) client side libraries have lapped you guys several times over.
How many years has it been since you released the highly anticipated editor and still it's not production ready?
When was the last release with a truly innovative component?

Harsh I know, but that's my 2 cents. It appears CA got stuck in the post back world, a view source will tell you all you need to know...

Top 10 Contributor
milos Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 @ 6:54 AM

Hello, tstacy.

Let me try to address your points.

On the substance of our latest UI Framework release:

While it does read as a sizable service pack in its obvious focus on fixes and expanded platform support, we intended (and, I hope, succeeded) to address the most burning concerns brought up by our existing customers. Since the most popular controls are very mature in terms of features, we felt we would add more value for existing customers by ensuring that the most frequently encountered problems are removed, rather than adding yet more controls, possibly with diminishing returns.

We are currently planning two major releases in 2011, in which we will continue to focus on customer feedback when prioritizing fixes and features. Your requests will definitely be taken into consideration as we nail down the work items for the next development push.

On the future of Silverlight:

Rather than having a hazy future, it is our view that Silverlight is (and will remain for the foreseeable future) the main Microsoft technology for building enterprise applications. Technologically this is certainly the case, and strategically Microsoft is entirely committed to this, with no viable alternatives present or planned.

I hope this helps explain our position somewhat.

All the best,

Milos Glisic
Director of Development
ComponentArt Inc.

Top 10 Contributor
sberkovitz Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 @ 7:00 AM
Any chance of seeing a roadmap for the 2011 releases so we can see whats in store?
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >