ASPnetMenu and License error???

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer and 5 replies

Not Ranked
rbrown1234 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 @ 10:49 AM
I have recently taken over a project that was built several years ago by another developer.  The client has recent moved the web application to a new server and all works fine, except they are now getting the annoying black box license issue on the new server which was not happening on the old server.

They did not have a LIC file in the bin folder so not sure how that was not working before...could it have been registration keys from the older mene install?  I know that was right about the time you switched from ASPnetMenu and rolled it into Web.UI.  The version of ASPnetMenu.dll is 1.5.  I do not see a license manager application in their ASPNetMenu folder, just the install msi. 

So, how do they get rid of the licensing error message given that it was working fine on the old server, so they obviously purchased the license.  It's just that it's so old now and they are in dire need of getting this to work.  They do not want to spend the money to switch out all the menu code to the new version.

Does anybody have any idea how to resolve the license issue for ASPnetMenu.dll v1.5?

Thanks for any help...

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Answered (Verified) evan Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 @ 8:42 AM
Verified by admin

That is the 1.5 version, and does require a license file or registry entry to operate.  There is not separate trial/production versions for 1.5 (only 1.2 and earlier).

You mentioned you have a license key already for that one.  If you use the 1.5 License manager to register that key, and are still seeing demo warnings, please contact support.  It's probably some other configuration issue, probably related to the fact you have a 2007 .lic file present.

Evan Levy - Director, Technical Services
ComponentArt Inc.
Helping You Build Something Amazing

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
evan Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 @ 11:58 AM

ASPNetMenu 1.5 shipped with Web.UI for ASP.NET 1.5, which is still availalbe for download at the bottom of the download page.  It includes a License Manager application, and you will need the original license key.

If you have the original purchase information, contact our sales department and they can fetch the keys for you.

ComponentArt Inc.
Not Ranked
rbrown1234 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 @ 4:25 PM
This is a nightmare of a problem.  Looks like the original developer had originally used the CYBERAKT version of the ASPNetMenu, not the Web.UI 1.5 version because to @Register tags in the aspx pages used CYBERAKT as a tag prefix.  However, I see that they do have a License key for the Web.UI 1.5 as well and I can use the License Manager to generate a key.

However, they also used the 2007 ASP.Net for AJAX at some point to use Callback features etc.  There is a License file in the Bin folder for this version and it does not report any errors.

Unfortuntely, they do not have any of the orignal sales orders, receipts etc for the control as it was all handled by the developer who they do not have contact with at this point.  All they have is the lic file in the bin for the 2007 Asp.net for AJAX version and they have a valid license key for the 1.5 Web.UI..but I cannot put BOTH license keys in the bin together as they are both called the same name.  Is there a way to combine these files when I cannot find the License Key for the AJAX version?

Please advise as to a way out of this mess.  Trying to avoid having to rewrite all the CYBERAKT menu code to the Web.UI version.  Also, did the CYBERAKT version even use a license file?  I am trying to figure out what caused the menu to kick into trial mode when the web site was simply a straight copy from their old server to the new.  The CYBERAKT ASPnetMenu install HAD to have written to the registry for it's license info, only thin I can think of.

Told ya, a nightmare.  

Top 25 Contributor
evan Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 @ 7:37 AM

The pre-1.5 versions of ASPNetMenu did not utilize any runtime activation.  The license keys were only needed for installation.  There were, however, two versions of those old pre-1.5 dlls.  One was trial and on was unlocked for production.  If you're seeing demo warnings on pre 1.5 ASPNetMenu, you must be running the trial version.  You can contact technical support for the production version.

For 1.5 and later, use the license manager/.lic file mechanism.  The license manager does write info to the registry, so in a pinch you can export it from the working server to the new machine.  The relevant keys will be under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComponentArt\Web.UI for ASP.NET

There will be versioned subkeys there with the license info.  Combining the contents of the license files is another option, but you should contact technical support for help with that one.

Hope this helps.

ComponentArt Inc.
Not Ranked
rbrown1234 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 @ 8:16 AM
Thanks Even for the detailed support...CA's support has improved dramatically over the years!

When I look at the AspNetMenu.dll on disk, the version info shows the following:
Product Name: ASP.NET Menu
Product Version: 1.5.0.0
Size: 168k

So I am not sure if that is the Production or Trial...or if it is the Web.UI or pre Web.UI.  Is there any way to tell?

Don't have old server disk anymore so can't check registry keys unfortunately.  Made new web server out of older server.

I have put a request into support for the pre Web.UI production version of the ASPnetMenu control.  Hopefully they'll be cool and help a brutha out :)

Thanks for your help.
Randy
Top 25 Contributor
Answered (Verified) evan Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 @ 8:42 AM
Verified by admin

That is the 1.5 version, and does require a license file or registry entry to operate.  There is not separate trial/production versions for 1.5 (only 1.2 and earlier).

You mentioned you have a license key already for that one.  If you use the 1.5 License manager to register that key, and are still seeing demo warnings, please contact support.  It's probably some other configuration issue, probably related to the fact you have a 2007 .lic file present.

ComponentArt Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)